5.18.2008

The Land of the M-Buhs


This is Seth at the park. Instead of playing with the other kids, he's watching the basketball players from afar. This kid is obsessed with any sort of ball, and he can spot them from a mile away. Ball was his first real word, and I love how he says it: "m-buh". It reminds me a little of the Bantu languages of Africa (for example, our good friend in Namibia is named Mbula Mbidzo). It looks like Seth might inherit Aaron's obsessive personality. When Aaron's really interested in something, he doesn't go half way (photography, brains, baseball, ME). Back to Seth-- even when there are no balls around, they're often on his mind. When I get him out of his bed in the morning, the first thing he usually wants is to play ball. Sometimes while he's breastfeeding, he'll come off, look at me and say "m-buh?" I'll answer, "Yeah, ball." He'll just smile and latch back on, feeling secure in a world of bouncy balls, soccer balls, baseballs, basketballs, tennis balls...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love being so near to be able to see the ball obsession in person.

I didn't know Aaron was so obsessed with Maine (ME)...is it because it's at the top of our country?