6.01.2008

Getting Bigger

It seems like Seth is getting bigger every day. I suppose that technically, he is. When I started school last fall, he was just 5 months old; he couldn't walk, talk, crawl, or do much of anything but jump in his bouncer, laugh, drool, smile, and poop (sometimes in his bouncer). He wasn't any good at doing much of anything by himself. It seems that every day he's picking up something new. At this rate, he'll be smarter than me before he's 3, which is going to be tough on my inflated ego. He says a bunch of words now, he can walk, run, climb, make jokes, use sign language, play catch, and do simple algebra problems. We're working on teaching him the 12 cranial nerves. Ok, maybe not yet, but it does seem that he's learning at light speed. I'm sure all parents get this impression when they watch their kid develop, but I'm just fascinated by it; I can just imagine his little axons myelinating and his dendrites strengthening their synapses as he makes more and more connections between himself and his environment.
I'm finishing my first year of medical school this week. I'm hating life right now, as I have four finals between now and Friday. Hence, my procrastination (writing a blog post when I should be studying). It's weird to think that when I'm finished with medschool, Seth will be 4. It seems like he'll always be just a little guy, but I guess he's gonna keep getting bigger. And maybe by the time he's 4, he can help me with some of the finer points of endocrinology, neurology, and pharmacology.

2 comments:

Nina said...

4 is nothin'... when Tyler's done, Max will be 8. That's like a real kid!

Anonymous said...

On Old Olympus, Towering Tops, A Fin And (Auditory rather than Vestibulocochloear) German Viewed Some Hops

Teach him this and he will always remember the cranial nerves

There's a more explicit one too but we won't go there seeing as how he's only 1. :P