6.22.2008

The Return of Nurse Lindsay

Three weeks before Seth's due date, I worked a very busy shift in the operating room with back-to-back robotic surgeries. In my hurried state, I didn't think twice about the slight cramping feeling in my belly that afternoon. A couple hours after I got home, I realized they were happening in 5 minute increments. I was in disbelief that this was really labor even when my OB told me to get to the hospital that night. Little Seth showed up at 9:40 the next morning. I felt kind of funny calling into work that morning to say "Sorry, I won't be coming in. I'm laying a baby." Maybe I didn't use those exact words. Anyway, I haven't been back to work since, but here I come. Aaron's out of school for the summer and I just got a job at Scripps Green Hospital in La Jolla. I'm really excited to return to the OR. It'll be a little different from my job in Oakland in that this hospital is right off the Torrey Pines Golf Course (the site of last week's US Open), has a view of the ocean, and I won't be in danger of getting car-jacked outside the hospital. My friend Lisa used to work at Scripps Green and said something along the lines of this to me: "Lindsay, you won't believe it. It's like doing surgery in heaven." While I hope people don't need their insides rearranged in heaven, if they do, I'd love to help out. For now, I look forward to my new job where I can catch an ocean breeze on my lunch break, or see the golf course out the window as I look up from my nurses' notes and say to myself, "great backspin on that pitch, Tiger." Too bad the OR doesn't actually have windows.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for surgery heaven! Hey, I was thinking, if you want to pick up shifts on Mondays, Fridays, and weekends during the school year, I can watch Seth! It would be a pleasure, especially if we can locate some chickens to feed.

The Onion said...

cool beans. What sorts of surgery?

Lindsay said...

i'm not sure what types i'll be in. they'll probably put me on the general surgery team because i know laparoscopic surgeries so well. i love guts, so that would be cool. they do neuro there too, and i wouldn't mind learning that. i'm sure aaron wouldn't let me show up without the 12 cranial nerves memorized forward and back.

Laura said...

Linds I wish you well. Smart move on your part so you keep your licence.

Ruth said...

Wow. I hope you love working again. What are the days/hours? Let me know if we can help out with Seth.

jane maynard said...

go nurse rutman!

Anonymous said...

Yes...ummm...I'd like to schedule a surgery please...any surgery is fine.