2.19.2011

Ranking the rest of our life (or the next 5 or 6 years anyway)

I've been getting a lot of questions lately about what we're doing/where we're going after I graduate from medical school in a few months. It's a complicated answer, that starts with, "I don't know."

First of all, I'm going to be a radiologist. I realize that many people are not sure what a radiologist is/does, and that the first question that comes to mind is probably "taking x-rays?" No, not taking x-rays, that's a radiographer. A diagnostic radiologist is an MD who is trained to know what imaging studies are required and to interpret medical images such as MRIs, CT scans, and ultrasounds, in order to diagnose disease. There is not a ton of patient interaction, but there is a lot of doctor interaction, as a radiologist is in general a consultant to other doctors. So why would anyone want to do that? There are lots of reasons, which I won't get into now, other than to say radiology is awesome.

Training:
The way it works with radiology is that you must be a licensed physician before beginning a radiology residency--which means I have to do a one-year intern year in order to get licensed. So, starting in June, I will be a medical intern somewhere, doing mostly internal medicine (like what J.D. and Elliot did on Scrubs).



In June 2012, I will start a 4-5 year radiology residency somewhere else.

Somewhere:
Between October 28 and January 21, I interviewed for positions at hospitals.  I went to 27 different programs in 8 states, 15 for radiology, and 12 for my intern year. I know, that's a lot. Excessive? Actually, not really--I assure you that for radiology, it's pretty average, as it is a very competitive specialty. If I were to display my travels like a rock-and-roll tour on the back of a t-shirt, it would look like this:

Oct 28, 2010 - Albuquerque, NM
Nov 4, 2010 - Colton, CA
Nov 12, 2010 - Seattle, WA
Nov 16, 2010 - Oakland, CA
Nov 17, 2010 - Santa Clara, CA
Nov 18, 2010 - Santa Clara, CA
Nov 19, 2010 - San Diego, CA
Nov 20, 2010 - Torrance, CA
Dec 3, 2010 - Denver, CO
Dec 8, 2010 -  Los Angeles, CA
Dec 9, 2010 - Los Angeles, CA
Dec 13, 2010 - St. Louis, MO
Dec 14, 2010 - Irvine, CA
Dec 16, 2010 - Portland, OR
Dec 17, 2010 - San Diego, CA
Dec 21, 2010 - Santa Barbara, CA
Dec 28, 2010 - Oakland, CA
Jan 3, 2011 - Philadelphia, PA
Jan 4, 2011 - Boston, MA
Jan 7, 2011 - San Francisco, CA
Jan 10, 2011 - Sacramento, CA
Jan 11, 2011 - Palo Alto, CA
Jan 12, 2011 - Los Angeles, CA
Jan 13, 2011 - San Francisco, CA
Jan 18, 2011 - San Diego, CA
Jan 20, 2011 - Boston, MA
Jan 21, 2011 - Boston, MA

In all, there were 103 individual interviews at 27 programs in 8 states, 10 round trip flights, 16 nights in hotels, 6 rental cars, about 2,500 miles driven, and about $6000 in the red. It was exhausting and it was great when it was over.



The Match:
Many people hear about all the interviews I went on and say "well, it sounds like you will have lots of options!" Well, not really how it works. Have you heard of The Match? In a nutshell, you apply for residency programs. You are either invited to interview, or not. You interview at programs.  You rank the programs from most preferred to least preferred.  The programs rank the interviewees from most preferred to least preferred. A computer algorithm then pairs applicants to programs based on these preferences, and voila, you are matched. So you really only have one option once the rank list is made--the one you are matched to. Match day is March 17.  So I will know then where we are going, both for internship and for residency.

Ranking:
The difficulty is choosing how to rank the programs. There are lots of factors you have to consider, including but not limited to: location (i.e. cool city, proximity to family, proximity to friends, weather, adventure factor), quality of program (quality of the faculty, facilities, teaching, prestige, future job/fellowship prospects), and gut feeling (how did the place feel, would I fit in, etc).




It makes it really hard. I think I would be thrilled to match at any of my top 10 radiology programs, which include these cities (in alphabetical order): 

Boston, MA
Los Angeles, CA
Palo Alto, CA
Philadelphia, PA
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
Seattle, WA
St. Louis, MO

So, our rank list is due on Wednesday, Feb 23rd. After then, there are no more choices, just waiting for Match day.

How would you rank these places? How should we do it!!!????

10 comments:

Kathleen said...

Well, I (Lindsay's cousin) live in Seattle, so as long as it's high on the list--that's all I'm interested in.

Marcus said...

Though you really should rank Boston high, I recognize the lure of California. If I were you I would rank the following (with parenthetical advantages or drawbacks:

San Francisco (Great location, family, cost of living, been there done that, Giants)
Boston (BFFs, Rev War history, winter, cost of living, Red Sox, accent)
Seattle (Space Needle, rain, urbanity)
San Diego (no comment, piers)
Palo Alto (Cardinal, confused allegiances, proximity to family, great weather)
St. Louis (Gateway Arch, Cardinals, possible bad weather)
Las Angeles (traffic, Disney, traffic)
Philadelphia (cream cheese, cheese steaks, Phillies)

Aaron said...

Marcus, you know me so well. You only forgot to mention Mariners for Seattle.

Marcus said...

I may know you, but I don't know baseball that well.

Thinking about it again, I might just have to toss everything in a hat and just draw out and rank locations randomly. Or choose a top 3 and select randomly there. Because if there is no clear favorite, leaving it up to chance might be the easiest idea.

Sarah and I have recently resorted to consulting a magic 8 ball when it comes to decisions we don't want to make. Maybe other people use prayer in this manner? 'Course the 8 ball has mostly only told us whether to eat out or stay in.

Prince said...

I must have missed the podcast that mentioned DC having all the radiologists it could ever need. Sheesh Aaron, no DC love?? But I'll get over that really fast if SD or Seattle are your match.

Seattle - I thought of the precious Mariners and Safeco field, but the real draw will be the summers in Seattle...they more than make up for the SAD winters.

San Diego - you know all too well the perks there, but don't forget to consider I'll probably be visiting San Diego about 15% more than Seattle on an annual basis :)

And I tried Marcus' 8 ball approach but all it told me was my breath was minty...so you should just go with your gut. Better yet, go with Lindsay's.

Whichever your match is, I promise to visit you before Ada graduates high school.

Gosh darn I miss you guys.
xo

Nancy said...

i am sure you will match exactly the right place, like match.com and all that good stuff.

I of course am partial to california, particularly san francisco - if you live in UCSF student housing you'd be in my home ward. or 'd love if you guys were closer. otherwise i vote for seattle or portland. i think you guys would do very well in the pacific northwest.

good luck! i will be thinking of you on wednesday.

Aaron said...

@jane - nice of you to drop in and pretend you even care! where were you when HP7.1 came out and I had no one to see it with? oh ya, not is SD, in DC. still, we miss you too! and i don't think i'd have to worry about the SAD seattle winters given the fact i'd be spending most of my time in a dark room anyway.

@nancy - unfortunately i'm pretty sure they don't let resident physicians into student housing, so no chance of subsidized housing in SF. still, if we end up in SF i'll be calling you for advice on schools for the kids...

Unknown said...

Aaron -- thanks for that complete description of what you have been going through. Of course we are partial to the California locations, since that would give us convenient access to you, Lindsay and the grandkids and allow you personally to enjoy your beloved Giants (who will, incidentally, repeat this year as world champions). You have interviewed only at quality institutions, and, therefore, no matter what happens you will do well and thrive. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and the family.

Jeannine said...

I am certainly partial to the Northern California somewhere...would love to babysit for you two to go out together! (a little incentive) I would even come to you if you were close enough...hint hint !!!! I am just say'in....

Prince said...

confession: Now, try and keep it together Aaron...bu I WAS in SD to see HP7.1...sorry dude. I saw it during Christmas with the family. You know I'd see it with you if I didn't have such a demanding set of siblings...they basically own me.

in other news, it's nice to know you still see right through me...i couldn't care any less about you ruts!