2.15.2011

The latest on the bigger kid


So, it's Seth turn for me to write down a few things to remember what he's up to lately.

Superheroes galore. He knows the names of their alter egos, the details of their costumes, and dreams of being one of them. I've caught Seth several times trying to scale our walls like Spiderman. He's even tried it with honey on his hands, hoping the stickiness would help. When he wears a superhero costume, he frequently asks me questions like, "Does Batman take off his cape when he goes potty?" or "Does Spiderman wear his mask when he's eating?" I'm kind of glad he's noticing the impracticality of superhero-dom in everyday life.

Spinach. Seth was already willing to eat spinach before seeing clips of Popeye on youtube, but now he's really on board. The other day I handed him a plate of spinach-less scrambled eggs and he said, "But it's not going to have any flavor! How am I going to be strong?" Another time I was trying to carry on a phone conversation while Seth was eating a spinach quesadilla. It was tough to pay attention to my conversation with Seth flexing his arms and repeatedly yelling "why are my muscles getting bigger?!!" Ada's caught on now and often flexes her arms and says "strong!" when she eats her spinach.

Mannequins. Whenever we go into a store with mannequins, Seth can't resist holding hands with them. He thinks it's hilarious. The other day we were at a store where the mannequin was up on a pedestal. We wouldn't let him climb up there and he was really frustrated that he was missing out on a great opportunity. He started whining, "but who's hand am I going to hold?"

Papa Seth. Seth's quite certain he's going to have ten children with his wife someday. Good luck finding a wife who'll participate in that buddy! When I ask him why he wants ten, he says "because it will be so much fun!" Occasionally he'll ponder the logistics of such a family and say "I'm going to need 10 cars for those kids." or "I'm going to need a really big house."

Oatmeal burgers. We have this Sesame Street book from the 70s, with a recipe from Bert for oatmeal burgers (a weird way of using leftover oatmeal). Seth is in love with the concept/thinks it's hilarious. He likes to break tension when he or Ada is in trouble by yelling "oatmeal burger!" to try and get everyone to laugh. I admit it makes me laugh to see him so amused with himself. I hear him saying it on the playground too, getting all his little buddies to crack up when he says it. He's pretty good at infecting others with his amusements.

5 comments:

Ruth said...

way to get Seth to want lots of children so you have lots of adorable grandkids down the road. I know what's going on here.

Good thinking Seth, 10 cars is a must.

Marcus said...

Tell Seth that with ten kids he could really get by only owning 2 or 3 cars at a time. And they only need to work most of the time.

Lindsay said...

that's funny, marcus. i knew you'd end up being a consultant to seth on this endeavor. i've wondered if you whispered these ideas to him back when you two were roommates.

Malerie said...

Wow Seth is looking so grown up and as always handsome!

Hope you guys are doing well. A few weeks until you find out where you'll be doing residency, right? Good luck!

Jeannine said...

I always wanted 10 children too. I found it kinda hard to find a man that would concur...Good for you Seth, I would love LOTS of great grandchildren!!!