10.10.2007

Thank You Henry Heimlich


Dr. Heimlich and myself rescued my dad from a wayward fruit. Now that a few days have passed, it's okay to be facetious about a strawberry that almost took my dear dad to the other side (it really was a scary experience). We were eating breakfast the first morning of my parents' visit to San Diego, when he got a horrible look on his face as he was choking. I did the Heimlich maneuver and it dislodged the food enough to get some air moving around it, but it still didn't pop out. He kept struggling to breathe for a good minute, as his airway was still pretty blocked, but the berry eventually found its way to his esophagus (or made a home in his lung, and he'll be getting strawberry pneumonia this week--yummy). Anyway, the Heimlich maneuver is no joke. It worked wonderfully. I wish I could come up with a life saving maneuver so that people around the world would say--Yeah, I wouldn't be here today if my friend hadn't performed the Rutman on me.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

is that a re-enactment or was someone actually documenting this as it happened?

if it's a re-enactment, you should get some blue filters on the photos to make it extra ominous. ;)

Aaron said...

yes, a re-enactment