1.29.2009

Pimple Popper, MD

I realize this is not the first reference to Seinfeld on this blog, and it is not likely that it will be the last. Anyway, the last couple weeks in school we've been studying all about oncology and dermatology. Before our lecture on dermatologic neoplasms, the lecturer made a reference to this Seinfeld episode in which Jerry is dating a dermatologist. Jerry gets to feeling a little inadequate seeing as she's a doctor out there saving lives and he's "just a comedian". But George convinces him that dermatologists aren't real doctors, and they don't save lives, they're just a bunch of "pimple poppers". The following scene ensues as Jerry confronts her about it.


"Skin cancer....damn!" His relationship ends there. Hopefully I won't forget about skin cancer on my upcoming test. On a side note, I felt a little old when nobody in the class recognized the reference and I realized that many of my colleagues were in junior high when the show ended.

Although I haven't the slightest interest in dermatology, I do give it props for having the most grotesque and vomit-inducing conditions. I won't post any pictures for the queezy, but if you're into grody stuff, click here for an example of bullous pemphigoid, a gnarly blistering autoimmune disease.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I LIKE grody stuff like bullous pemphigoid. We're totally meant for eachother--a couple who can sit down and spend an evening perusing pictures of nasty diseases.

Anonymous said...

Being that I am in my last year of dermatology residency and will be marrying a dermatologist we have a near sick obsession with the skin. My camera is filled with some of the most intreaguing skin conditions I have seen over the past three years. BP just scrapes the surface... TEN (toxic epidermal necrolysis), Harlequin fetus, recessive dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa (Hallopeau-Siemens), proteus are just a few of my favorites! I am thrilled to see others enthusiasum with my favorite organ.
Mollie

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!