1.22.2008

Seth and his Alien Hand Syndrome

For those of you who have never heard of Alien Hand Syndrome, it's a real neurological condition in which a person's limb doesn't seem like part of their body, and acts independent of their conscious control. The alien hand can do things like unbutton a shirt or play the piano (seemingly replaying motor tasks without the voluntary control of the person).
So, I think Seth's right hand is an alien hand, and for some reason breastfeeding triggers it. It's funny/annoying because as soon as he starts nursing while lying on his left side, his arm goes a little nuts. He waves his arm in the air, finds my face, starts clawing and slapping my face, puts his hand in my mouth and pulls down on my jaw, pinches my neck skin, and sometimes ends up repetitively hitting himself on the head with his fist. I don't know what the freak this kid is doing, and why his right arm hates me.
I know a blog entry isn't nearly as fun without a photo or video to go with it. I've asked Aaron to please document Seth's alien hand, but because he does it while breastfeeding, Aaron's afraid he wouldn't be able to keep it PG-13.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't you just touch up the pic after it's taken? Put a blurry spot over the boob and let me see that alien arm!!!!

Nations said...

Sam has alien limb syndrome too! And I think it's his right arm, seriously. I have scratch marks on my face as I type this and have had that kids hand in my mouth many times. The other way these kids are twins is that Sam likes to suck on lemon peel (referring to aaron's entry about seth's eating). maybe we somehow shared an egg before we conceived...