
For those in my family who check our blog, I thought it'd be fun to post a picture of a visit we made to see Grammy Shields. Unfortunately, she has severe dementia and has to live in an elderly care facility. When we lived in the bay area, I admit I didn't visit her all that often (at 9 months old, this was her first time meeting Seth). It's kind of tough to see someone you love, who used to be so intelligent and capable in the kind of state she's now in. I admit part of me wanted to break down and cry during our visit, but I was really glad I could bring Seth and have a fun time with her that day. He instantly charmed her, and she kept saying "he smiles and everything!" She had a lot of smiles that afternoon too, which was great to see, even if she won't remember it, I will.
2 comments:
That's very sweet... Seth sounds (and looks)like a charming little fellow!
Lindsay, I'm grateful that you went to see Grammy. I don't get to see her as often as I would like since I live almost 5 hours away, but I try to get up there every 6 to 8 weeks. I think that it has been at least several months or maybe a year, I don't know, since she knew who I was. As long as she's happy that I have come to visit, regardless of who she thinks I am, then I'm happy. So far each visit has been good and she has smiled a lot. The thing that I enjoy most doing with her is singing. It is interesting how the mind will hang on to music for so long when so many other things have gone from her memory. We enjoyed "Jingle Bells" last time I was up and "Silent Night." I certainly understand about the bittersweet and I have sometimes wanted to cry while with her. Another thing that I have enjoyed doing is feeding her and she has difficulty feeding herself now. It just seems a tender moment for me to be able to serve my mother in that way.
Love, Auntie Karen
Post a Comment