9.12.2008

Girl.

We're having a girl. [[[At least it seems that way. I don't want to be a downer, but there's a small chance (about 1 in 20,000) that the absence of obvious external genitalia (i.e. a phallus) are a result of androgen insensitivity syndrome (AIS), a set of disorders defined by varying degrees of androgen (i.e. testosterone) resistance due to genetic mutations in the androgen receptor. So someone with this problem would be a phenotypic female, and genetic male. Now that I've just proven to everyone that I am both a nerd and mentally twisted...]]] Anyway, the little girl looks healthy as can be (and chances are she's a perfectly normal 46, XX) and Lindsay is looking radiant. You know, that shine that pregnant ladies exude...she's a total babe.

Anyway, I know almost nothing about raising a little female munchkin, and in truth I'm a little scared. I think she's pretty cute already, despite the fact that I've only seen coronal cross-sections of her sinuses and abdomen. (Look, she's waving.) I'm in love already and really excited for the little sweetie to come. There's something about seeing the sonogram and knowing the sex that makes it so real--I guess this baby really is coming in February. I admit that although we thought it would be a great idea to have another kid, the gravity of the situation didn't cross my mind at the moment of conception. Either way, I think I'm already prepared to just give her whatever she wants--she's already got me wrapped around her finger.

So here we go--we'll have the full collection. A boy and a girl.

By the way, we'll happily take any name suggestions, although I can't guarantee that I won't think your suggestion is totally lame. Lindsay and I already dislike most every name the other has come up with.

8 comments:

Nina said...

Congrats you guys!!! Don't worry Aaron, spoiling is a good place to start with a girl.

Yay for little girls!!

jeremy and steph said...

Felicitations! We are very excited for the four of you! Aaron, we can start cleaning shotguns together Friday and Saturday nights in 15 to 16 years...gotta keep those teenage boys away. Girls are great, if you can get over the insane amount of attitude (maybe that is just Madison) and the pink. By the way, joyeux anniversaire...un peu en retard, mais...still from the heart. Hope you are enjoying year number two...I enjoyed the AIS shoutout...I think Jamie Lee Curtis is AIS. A bientot!

jane maynard said...

yea!!!!!!!!!!! girls are so fun, you're gonna love it! both of you! :) I can't wait to meet her....

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that you guys aren't already set on naming her Jancilyn .... DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HAHA I kid. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I can't wait to spoil her too, we're all going to go broke because there is SOOOOO much cute girl stuff out there!! It's endless!!

Holladay Duplex said...

Hey Rutmans,

I've been totally blog stalking you for a couple of months now (found you on Jane's), but I've decided to come clean and tell you congrats on the girl!! I don't know what I would do with a girl, either, but I'm pretty sure you'll figure it out!

nate said...

Congratulations guys! We are excited for you. Aaron don't worry about raising girls. It's not that hard. You just buy them pink stuff, ponies, dresses and let them pretend they are Cinderella. Now in the rare event that he/she has AIS (I just went to a seminar on this so I know what I'm talking about), the best approach would be to purchase a toy truck and a doll and watch closely to see which way she gravitates. Another test you might want to try would be to give him/her a ball and watch for tendencies to throwing the ball overhand or underhand. Note the results and we can talk child rearing options later. In the meantime enjoy your radiant wife and Seth. Keep us updated.

allison said...

i like the name pam. pam prince rutman has a really nice ring to it.

Brian and Lindsay said...

Congratulations you guys! I'm so excited for you. Girls are so much fun (and Lindsay claims it's much easier to find cute clothes for girls than it is for boys, so yay for that)