8.08.2008

Vindicated...turns out air guitar is a real instrument

A friend of mine recently informed me of a world class event going on in the great city of San Francisco. The National Finals for the US Air Guitar Championship is being held tonight. This is an event rising in popularity over the past few years, and I've always wanted to check it out.

Now if any of you know me, you know that I hate to dance. I hate singing in public. But if there is anything for which I can release my inhibitions, it's playing an imaginary guitar. Not to boast, but seriously, I can shred an air axe like you wouldn't believe. I've been doing it since I was very young, since my uncle Dave introduced me to the genius that is Led Zeppelin. Sometimes I can't help myself: I've been known to drive with my knees for short periods of time so I could play a particularly intense run with Jimmy Page or Angus Young in the car. Lindsay makes fun of me, but that's okay, not everyone can comprehend the genius of a Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Anyway, the winner of the US National Finals goes on to compete in the Air Guitar World Championship in Oulu, Finland. A taste of what we're dealing with here:



I'm actually pretty confident I could be competitive at a thing like this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say go for it, I'd totally come watch!! Speaking of the genius of Led Zeppelin, I'm dancing with my dad to Thank You for the father daughter dance but it's a cover by a band called the Waybacks. I need to get your forgiveness for not using the original, I'll tell you the story of why I had to use to cover when I see you! :)

Nations said...

lindsay does not realize the talented, treasure of a man she has. next year, when you win the national championship, she'll come to her senses.

Lindsay said...

aaron, i don't think there's a problem with my not being able to comprehend the genius of a stevie ray vaughn. it's more like--how is your air guitaring supposed to help me enjoy that music more? that music can stand alone in it's greatness without your help. ouch!
i will say though, i've gone from making fun of people who think air guitar is cool (before i married you), to a moderate appreciation for the accuracy with which you can play air guitar. i thought it was just a bunch of senseless strumming with over-dramatic facial expressions. you've added some actual musicianship to it, and i thank you for that. i think you've got a shot at competing.

Anonymous said...

It figures the competition would be held in San Francisco. I’m sorry Aaron, Anyone who competes in an air guitar competition has way too much time on his hands. I wounded how they sound. Oh yeah! You can’t hear them. Dad the grump