4.19.2008

Poor people deserve artisan bread too


So, I recently threatened to start sharing recipes if I didn't have anything else to blog about. We'll try to keep our lives interesting so that this doesn't become my food blog. Thanks to the world of food blogging though, I came across a great new use for my Le Creuset dutch oven I got for Christmas. This recipe is from an article in the New York Times and it makes the most fantastic homemade bread I've ever had. I had no idea that my ghetto oven in student housing could turn out European style bread, with a crispy crust and chewy soft insides. Yes, this photo is MY loaf of bread. It's a funky recipe that only has 1/4 teaspoon yeast, requires no kneading, needs to raise for almost a whole day, and the dough seems more like batter than bread dough. Anyway, follow this link and let your addiction begin.
P.S.--I didn't need to cook mine nearly as long as the recipe said, so keep an eye on it. (I left it in for the initial 30 minutes with the lid on the dutch oven, but it was already golden brown, so I only gave it a couple minutes more with the lid off.)

9 comments:

Marcus said...

I'm so glad it worked out. This bread is fantastic.

Lindsay said...

thanks for being my telephone lifeline at the grocery store marcus!

Nations said...

Kris saw that article in the Times for bread a while ago and has talked about making it ever since. Now he really has to do it. Can you make it without a dutch oven?

Nancy said...

wow that looks like a stock photo.

nice job.

Lindsay said...

to jenn and kris--you can make it in any large, covered, oven safe container, like ceramic or pyrex. the point is to keep all the moisture in. that's what gives it the great texture. you might soon have a neighbor in san diego who'd let you borrow her dutch oven anytime.

Nina said...

Lindsay that looks awesome. How big was the pot you used? I have a smaller one but not sure if that would work. I have to make this... soon... it might send me on a trip to Sur la Table or William Sonoma (not that I'm crying about that).

Lindsay said...

my pot is huge--8 quarts. the recipe calls for a 6-8 quart size. i got the actual le creuset brand for a good price at home goods, but i wonder how the cheaper brands perform. i've seen a bunch of them in the home section of places like marshalls (just in case the prices at those other places dissuade you).

jane maynard said...

I'm so glad you tried that recipe - and I can't believe that's how it turned out - it's BEAUTIFUL!!!!! wish I was still next door so I could have actually eaten it. maybe I'll have to try it...after I get a le creuset dutch oven...so, in a few years...shoot.

Susan said...

I've been making this bread a couple times a week for several months. So GOOD! I'm glad you've discovered it too.