They say that love for your own child is unconditional. I think this is for the most part, true. However, there are moments when this statement is challenged. For example, I have never loved my son less than when we were driving from San Diego to the Bay area to visit the fam for Christmas time fun (I still loved him, just not as much as usual). Apparently Seth didn't understand that fun was in store, because he decided to scream for about 4 of the 8 hours it took us to arrive, including a particularly rough 2 and a half hour stretch after the Grapevine. Our car is not huge--his face was perhaps 2 feet from mine, and there were moments at which I longed for death. It made me think about how scared I am to fly anywhere with him and be that guy with the loud kids on an airplane. I guess we'll just stay put for a while and save up to go on vacation 10 years from now when I have a real job. This event also reminded me of a funny french commercial a friend showed me a while back.
(note: I sometimes use sarcasm in an attempt at humor, so please don't think I don't love my kid.)
The next post will likely explain why it's actually worth it to have kids.
3 comments:
Aaron, we've flown twice and I think it's way easier than driving. You can hold your kid, feed them while traveling, entertain them fairly well, and give them time to get their energy out before boarding the plane. That said, we interrupted Sam's sleep schedule so badly by getting up at 3am and flying to Utah at 6am I'm reconsidering our future family size.
We have most definitely been "those guys with the screaming and horribly annoying kid" on an airplane almost every time you fly. Our solution, bring Southwest drink coupons and hand them out freely to those around us. A little booze goes a long way... like to Connecticut.
As you are traveling from San Diego to the bay area if you need a rest stop we would love to have you stay here. We usually have an extra bedroom or two. I'll play with Seth for a little while and you two can take a break. I watched The Incredibles from about 2 a.m. to 4 a.m. with Sarah's two year old during the Christmas holidays the night after they arrived. They had driven 12 hours and Gideon had slept from 5 pm until 2. Then he was ready to play, but Sarah and Matthew weren't. He usually only wants his mother, but since she wasn't available at 2 a.m. he put up with his Grammy. He even snuggled under a blanket with me while we watched those super heroes.
Auntie Karen
Post a Comment