7.31.2007

When the Stars Go Blue

Aaron and I got to go on a real date last week. We ditched Seth and went to a Ryan Adams concert (not to be confused with Bryan Adams, the raspy voiced Robin Hood soundtrack making guy). When we arrived, Ryan was meandering through the audience just talking to people. He looks like such a regular person, most people didn't recognize it was him. Aaron, with his man-crush of many years, recognized him immediately and asked me to go talk to him and get his autograph. I was feeling shy, but Aaron insisted I had a better chance since I'm a girl. So, I went over to him and said--"Ryan, will you sign my ticket?" He replied, "I'm really sorry, but if I start signing autographs, I have to do it for everyone, and I can't do it right now. It's like a whore who says she won't kiss on the lips, and then once she kisses one person on the lips, she has to do it for everybody." I thought that was a legitimate reason, and the alcohol on his breath made his choice of explanation make even more sense. The concert was great. Our favorite part was when he said he was going to play a Tim McGraw song and played "When the Stars Go Blue". It's funny to us because that's actually a Ryan Adams song that Tim McGraw covered, and most people think it's Tim's. He also improvised an awesome happy birthday song to a random member of the audience named Summer Ray Brown from Kentucky. All in all it was a good night with Ryan.

Here is a cellphone picture of Ryan talking to an audience member a few rows ahead of us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an awesome show even though he played a Tim McGraw song (wink). I was playing a little bit of guitar while in the dorms during my teacher training and played stars go blue and someone was like, hey that's a Tim McGraw song. Its funny because even the Adams fans there didn't seem to know that Ryan wrote it. We know the truth.
Love you guys.