11.06.2008

Broken Boy


Our sweet little Sethy-Pie fractured his tibia a couple of days ago. He fell off a swing at the playground, and I was really surprised that he got hurt so badly. When you have a kid who's as active and daring as him, and who falls all the time, you start to think their resiliency is unlimited. Apparently Seth's tibia has limitations.
The first picture nicely captures Seth's enthusiasm for the splint they put on him in the ER yesterday. Tonight he got the full leg cast (which has to remain on him for a month). Hopefully he'll quickly learn to walk with this thing on. I can't begin to express how pathetic and sad it is to see Seth so helpless and frustrated the last couple of days. Even when he does learn to walk on it though, it'll still be a long month since some of his favorite activities--bathing, playing in the dirt in our garden, and going to the beach--will have to stop while his cast is on. Even his favorite sleeping position (face down, with his legs tucked under him and his butt in the air) is now an impossibility. He'll adapt, but we're still counting down the days.

6 comments:

Nina said...

oh no!! poor seth!! i'm shocked and amazed everyday that max hasn't broken anything yet... it's true, when you have a seriously active kid you don't expect them to ever get hurt...

Matthew Shields said...

Aw geez! Poor little guy.

Anonymous said...

My heart hurt when I saw this picture and read what happened. Poor little guy, how scary! I hope he adapts quickly and doesn't have too miserable of a month!! Love you all!

banananutmeg said...

that is truly heart breaking.

Give that kid a popcicle.

jane maynard said...

oh my goodness!!! I can't believe that happened! poor little guy. give him some kisses for us. and great timing, with you being pregnant and all. life is always an adventure.

poor seth!!!

Holladay Duplex said...

Ok, um, you posted this like a month ago. Have I really not seen you guys for that long?!!! I'm so sorry about your leg, Seth!