10.27.2008

pinewood chicken


A couple of weeks ago, we had a pinewood derby at our church. I love a good excuse to make stuff like this. My everyday life doesn't allow me enough opportunities to work with glue and feathers (there are about 6 glue sticks on this car by the way). I hope I don't embarrass my kids someday when they need my help with projects and still want to feel cool about themselves when they present it. Since I have no woodcarving tools, I knew all I could do was decorate my block of wheeled wood. Seth's undying love for chickens was my inspiration. When I brought it to the race and set it on the stand with all the other cars, I noticed a bunch of people didn't register it in their minds as a competitor in the race. Then they realized, why is there a chicken decorating the table of cars? Oh--that IS a car. I wasn't all too concerned about aerodynamics, so it certainly didn't win the speed award. Fortunately, the judges gave out one more award: creative design. This bad boy won me a $6 gift card to Rubios. I of course cashed it in on $1 fish taco night.

(Note from Aaron: not only did it not win any races, it didn't FINISH any races. Chickens are not the swiftest of birds, and it turns out feathers can slow you down. It never made it to the finish line, but was still the most stylish car.)

3 comments:

Marcus said...

!

Anonymous said...

love it. and good to see marcus has become quite the commentator. well put, marcus!

jane maynard said...

that's awesome, linds.